Full-text China's plan to make Fujian a zone for integrated development with Taiwan
A full-text translation and some notes by GRR
China on Tuesday issued a detailed plan on making Fujian, a province situated on the southeast coast, a demonstration zone for integrated development with Taiwan. The idea of building such a demonstration zone was mentioned before, such as in China’s 14th Five-Year Plan and the Long-Range Objectives Through the Year 2035.
The document listed the general requirements and 21 specific measures for building the zone. It said the objective is to make Fujian 第一家园 the first-choice destination for Taiwan residents and enterprises to pursue development on the mainland.
It stressed the importance of expanding the social and cultural exchanges and cooperation between Fujian and Taiwan. It called for various forms of exchanges based on the two regions' bond of the belief in the Chinese sea goddess Mazu and other folk beliefs. It's worth noting that Taiwan companies will be allowed to invest and set up radio and television program production and management companies in Fujian.
After working tirelessly through the night alongside our dedicated GRR interns, I am pleased to present a freshly translated version to the subscribers of this newsletter. I’ve also added notes based on my understanding and study of Chinese official narratives.
Please understand the translation and notes is neither official nor authoritative, as this is a PERSONAL newsletter which does not represent the views of your Ginger River’s day-job employer Xinhua News Agency, let alone “China.”
Subscribe GRR newsletter for free to get a glimpse into the priorities of both the leadership and the general public in China.
中共中央 国务院关于支持福建探索海峡两岸融合发展新路 建设两岸融合发展示范区的意见 Circular on supporting Fujian Province in exploring a new path for the integrated development across the Taiwan Strait and making a demonstration zone for the integrated development across the Taiwan Strait -- Jointly issued by the Communist Party of China (CPC) Central Committee and the State Council
Resolving the Taiwan question and realizing China’s complete reunification is, for the Party, a historic mission and an unshakable commitment. It is also a shared aspiration of all the sons and daughters of the Chinese nation and a natural requirement for realizing the rejuvenation of the Chinese nation. [GRR's note: The narrative in this part remains exactly the same as mentioned in the report of the 19th Central Committee of the CPC which was adopted at the recently concluded 20th CPC National Congress delivered by Xi Jinping in October 2022. GRR has a page covering the congress.] Fujian has a unique position and role in the overall work on Taiwan. In order to advance the integrated development in various fields across the Strait [GRR's note: "advance the integrated development in various fields across the Strait" was mentioned before in the report to the 20th CPC National Congress] and promote the process of peaceful national reunification, we hereby propose the following requirements and measures on supporting Fujian Province in exploring a new path for the integrated development across the Taiwan Strait [GRR's note: a new path was also mentioned before] and making a demonstration zone for the integrated development across the Taiwan Strait.
Ⅰ. General requirements
Guided by Xi Jinping Thought on Socialism with Chinese Characteristics for a New Era, we must thoroughly implement the spirit of the report to the 20th CPC National Congress, implement our Party’s overall policy for resolving the Taiwan question in the new era, practice the conviction that we are all of the same family [GRR's note: This conviction was mentioned before in the Resolution of the Communist Party of China (CPC) Central Committee on the Major Achievements and Historical Experience of the Party over the Past Century] prioritize advancing integration through better connectivity and more preferential policies, and based on mutual trust and understanding, and strives to build making a demonstration zone for the integrated development across the Taiwan Strait in the whole Fujian Province.
We must fully leverage Fujian's distinctive advantages and its pioneering role, and harness a variety of resources to further enhance integrated cross-Strait development. We must always show respect and care for and benefit our Taiwan compatriots, and optimize policies and systems to promote the well-being of Taiwan compatriots and ensure they enjoy equal treatment with their mainland counterparts. We will employ a problem-oriented approach, focus on piloting and testing new initiatives, expand authorization and empowerment, and continue to promote policy and institutional innovation. We will continue to advance the easy things first before the difficult ones, take steady and incremental steps with perseverance to sustain progress, take appropriate measures in light of the time and local conditions, support regions with good conditions and outstanding advantages to take the lead in pilot projects, and guide other regions to identify their positions and work together to achieve synergies.
The objectives: Ensure that the construction of a demonstration zone for the integrated development across the Taiwan Strait will be basically completed, and the effect of Fujian as the first-choice destination for Taiwan compatriots and enterprises to pursue development on the mainland is fully evident. The policies and systems for integrated development will be improved, and the social atmosphere of "the two sides of the Taiwan Strait are one family, and Fujian and Taiwan are closer together" will become stronger. Personnel exchanges between Fujian and Taiwan will become more convenient, trade and investment will become smoother, and cross-Strait exchanges and cooperation will expand to more fields and in greater depth when the demonstration zone is built. The pair cities of Xiamen and Kinmen, Fuzhou and Matsu will play an even more prominent exemplary role in promoting the cross-Strait integrated development, and the Pingtan Comprehensive Experimental Zone will play a full role in the integration development across the Taiwan Strait.
Ⅱ. Make Fujian the first-choice destination for Taiwan residents and enterprises on the Chinese mainland
1. Facilitate access for Taiwan compatriots. We will build infrastructure of transportation and logistics ahead of demand and increase the guarantee of funds and other factors. We should promote infrastructure connectivity wherever necessary and establish multidimensional and comprehensive transport corridors and hubs linking Fujian with Taiwan, connecting them with other mainland regions. We will strengthen construction of major logistics infrastructure such as logistics hubs and improve regional logistics distribution systems. Moreover, we will further optimize and increase both passenger and freight routes between Fujian coastal areas and Taiwan, Kinmen, and Matsu. We will create a more relaxed policy environment for people from both sides to travel across the Strait, and for Taiwan compatriots to stay or reside in Fujian. By doing so, more Taiwan compatriots who have never been to the mainland are welcomed to visit Fujian.
2. Encourage Taiwanese students to study in Fujian. We follow the policy of "warm welcome, equal treatment, and nearby enrollment" for Taiwanese children who are enrolled in primary and secondary schools or public kindergartens in Fujian. We will support local universities and research institutes in expanding their enrollment of Taiwanese students through various means. We will encourage universities of both sides to carry out high-level cooperation and diversified cooperation in Fujian, and allow advanced characteristic Taiwan enterprises to participate by various means in the running of Fujian vocational schools following joint-stock or mixed system. Furthermore, a number of cross-Strait youth research bases will be established.
3. Encourage Taiwan compatriots to work in Fujian. We will support all types of enterprises in Fujian, especially Taiwanese enterprises, in hiring more Taiwan employees. Particularly, more efforts will be made to hire Taiwanese teachers in Fujian vocational schools. We will expand the scope of direct recognition of Taiwan vocational qualifications. Taiwan-based physicians can run their work in Fujian as regulations require. In addition, we will gradually loose the restrictions for Taiwan residents who have obtained national legal professional qualifications to become lawyers in Fujian. We will improve diversified human resources service institutions including Taiwan-funded ones.
4. Increase the social participation of Taiwan compatriots. They are encouraged to take part in various social undertakings in Fujian such as ecological and environmental protection, rural revitalization, and social responsibilities. They can also play their role in practices such as local community building and community-level governance. Taiwan compatriots are expected to join industrial, academic and professional social organizations. We will run pilot projects for them to serve as heads or legal representatives of non-religious social organizations in Fujian. They can win honors and awards at all levels in accordance with relevant state regulations. We also encourage Taiwan compatriots to take up the posts such as arbitrators, mediators, people's assessors, people's supervisors, procuratorial liaison officers, and judicial auxiliary personnel and participate in the construction of rule of law in Fujian.
5. facilitate Taiwan compatriots' living in Fujian. We will cancel the temporary residence registration of Taiwan compatriots in Fujian. They are encouraged to apply for residence permit for Taiwan residents. They can settle down in Fujian as they will. Besides, we will expand the applied range for verification of their residence permits, striving to make the permits as conveniently applicable as mainland residents' identity cards. Taiwan compatriots will be encouraged to buy homes in Fujian. We will also strengthen institutional support for their employment, health services, housing, elderly care services, and social assistance in Fujian. Taiwan compatriots will be embraced into the mainland's social security system in accordance with laws and regulations.
6. Improve Taiwan-related judicial services. We will build an open resource-sharing platform that integrates Taiwan-related legal research and consultation and legal investigation in Taiwan. We will strengthen exchanges and cooperation between arbitration institutions across the Strait. Taiwan civil and commercial arbitration institutions are allowed to set up agencies in Xiamen and conduct arbitration business related to Hong Kong, Macao, Taiwan or foreign affairs. We will create a favorable destination for Taiwan-related judicial services on the mainland, providing legal guarantee for Taiwan compatriots and enterprises to participate in the integrated development of both sides. Moreover, we will continue to improve law enforcement, examination, trial, execution and supervision mechanisms in order to reinforce Taiwan-related legal services.
III. Deepen economic and trade integration between Fujian and Taiwan
7. Improve the Taiwan-related business environment. We will support Fujian Province in building a world-class business environment, and guide Taiwan compatriots and businesses to jointly build a convenient business environment that is market-oriented and law-based. We will formulate opinions on special measures to relax market access to deepen the integration of Fujian and Taiwan, and encourage the Fujian Pilot Free Trade Zones, as testing grounds, to expand its projects for Taiwan. We will support innovative development of small-scale trade with Taiwan. We will build a cross-Strait common standard service platform, encourage cross-Strait industries, universities, research institutes, and enterprises to jointly develop common industry standards, and explore a qualification evaluation and certification system for Taiwan enterprises. We will improve the mechanism for protecting and coordinating the rights and interests of Taiwan compatriots and enterprises, establish sound channels for communication between the government and enterprises, and increase the quality and quantity of Taiwan businesses and enterprises in Fujian.
8. Deepen industrial cooperation. We will support localities with requisite conditions to build demonstration centers for new industrialized industries, strengthen industrial cooperation between Fujian and Taiwan, and improve the resilience and security of the industrial chain and supply chain across the Taiwan Strait. We will ensure the provision of factor of production, support the construction of industrial bases like the Gulei Petrochemical Industrial Base and Ningde Power Battery Cluster, etc., to gather cross-Strait production factors and build globally competitive industrial bases and advanced manufacturing clusters. We will support the joint establishment of enterprise cooperation alliances between Fujian enterprises and Taiwanese enterprises in Fujian. We will support the construction of cross-Strait financial markets at multiple levels, innovate ways of cooperation between cross-Strait social capital, promote the establishment of a cross-Strait industry integration development fund, support the innovative upgrade of the "Taiwan capital board" at the cross-Strait Equity Exchange Center, strengthen cooperation with the New Third Board (National Equities Exchange and Quotations), push for more qualified high-quality Taiwan enterprises in Fujian to be listed in the mainland, and encourage more Taiwan enterprises to participate in the development of the mainland's financial market. We will support cross-Strait cooperation in the fashion and creative industries, and jointly cultivate brands with national features.
9. Promote the development of Taiwan's agriculture, fisheries, and small and medium enterprises (SMEs) in Fujian. We will encourage Taiwan farmers and fishermen to participate in the integrated development of the primary, secondary, and tertiary industries in Fujian's rural areas, and to take part in rural revitalization. We will continue to benefit Taiwan farmers and fishermen by providing more conveniences in areas like land use, financing, and opening up domestic markets. We will deepen the cooperation in developing tourism resources between Fujian and Taiwan, and support Taiwanese industry players in participating in the quality enhancement and upgrade of Fujian's rural tourism. We will increase support for the construction of entrepreneurial parks for Taiwan farmers and engage in exchanges and cooperation in fields such as the marine economy. We will support areas where Taiwan enterprises and farmers gather in establishing National Rural Revitalization Demonstration Counties and construct cross-Strait rural revitalization cooperation bases and national platforms for modern, high-quality agriculture and fisheries. We will attract Taiwan industry participants to Fujian to engage in e-commerce, health and wellness, logistics, catering, and other service industries, and support qualified Taiwan enterprises in mainland in applying for China Time-Honored Brands. We will encourage Taiwan small and medium enterprises to develop in Fujian and support the creation of a cross-Strait SME cooperation zone in Fujian. We will promote cross-Strait cooperation in the development of future industries and explore new forms of business in cross-Strait service trade cooperation.
10. Strengthen cooperation in technological innovation. We will encourage enterprises and scientific research institutions from both Fujian and Taiwan to jointly establish platforms for the research and development of common technologies, and promote the digitalization and application of smart technologies for Taiwan enterprises in Fujian. We will support Fuzhou and Xiamen in building distinctive, complementary, and synergistic talent aggregation platforms for both Fujian and Taiwan. We will create a platform for the transformation of ecological and environmental technological achievements across the Taiwan Strait, and support Taiwan compatriots and enterprises in participating in green economic development.
Ⅳ. Promote integration of the whole Fujian Province (with Taiwan)
11. Support the integrated development between Xiamen and Kinmen. We will support Xiamen in carrying out comprehensive pilot reforms, and grant Xiamen greater autonomy in key areas and key links in the form of list-based batch authorization. We will ensure that Kinmen residents living in Xiamen can enjoy the same treatment as local residents, take the lead in providing equal, universal, and accessible basic public services to build a "urban living circle" shared between Xiamen and Kinmen. We will deepen exchanges and cooperation between universities in Xiamen and Kinmen. We will explore a model for Xiamen-Kinmen joint infrastructure development, facilitating the supplies of electricity and gas and the construction of bridges from Xiamen to Kinmen, and supporting Kinmen in using Xiamen's new airport.
12. Support Fuzhou and Matsu to deepen integrated development. We will create an "urban life circle" shared between Fuzhou and Matsu, and support Matsu residents to enjoy the same treatment as local residents in Fuzhou. We will set up Fuzhou-Matsu industrial cooperation park to promote innovative integration between the two cities in culture and tourism, marine fisheries and other fields, and attract Taiwan compatriots and enterprises to participate in the development of Fuzhou's digital economy. We will advance efforts to promote the supplies of water, electricity and gas and the construction of bridges from Fuzhou to Matsu. We will support Fuzhou New District and Pingtan Comprehensive Experimental Zone in establishing a cross-strait integration and collaboration mechanism to achieve integrated and high-quality development.
13. Accelerate the opening up and development of Pingtan Comprehensive Experimental Zone. We will support Pingtan Comprehensive Experimental Zone in expediting the progress to develop an all-round opening framework to Taiwan. We will gradually build a policy system for liberalization and facilitation of investment and trade with Taiwan, expand the opening up of cross-border trade in services with Taiwan, and explore the establishment of a cross-Strait common market pilot zone. We will support Pingtan Comprehensive Experimental Zone to build a more convenient cross-Strait traffic channel. We will study the possibility to open up access to Taiwan's information services and other industries, and explore measures to accelerate the opening up of education.
14. Promote integration practices in other regions of Fujian. We will leverage advantages of Quanzhou and Zhangzhou, which are Minnan-dialect-speaking regions, as the main ancestral homes of Taiwan compatriots, to build a global center for Minnan culture, and carry out the integrated development practices with Penghu. We will support Longyan and Sanming to give full play to their advantages as Hakka ancestral land, and innovate the exchanges of Hakka culture across the Strait. We will support Sanming in building a pilot zone for integrated rural development across the Taiwan Strait. We will support Putian in deepening exchanges and cooperation with Taiwan through the hometown of Mazu and cross-Strait biotechnology and medical and health industry cooperation zones. We will support Nanping in furthering cooperation with Taiwan in ecological, cultural and tourism industries. We will encourage Ningde to expand cooperation with Taiwan in new energy and Marine aquaculture industries.
Ⅴ. Deepen social and people-to-people exchanges between Fujian and Taiwan
15. Expand social and people-to-people exchanges and cooperation. We will support regular exchanges between various types of non-governmental organizations in Fujian and Taiwan, and encourage eligible Taiwan non-governmental organizations to set up offices in Fujian. We will support Xiamen University and other universities in building Taiwan-related research institutions and conducting exchanges and cooperation with Taiwan think tanks. We will make every effort to ensure the success of major cross-Strait exchange events such as the Straits Forum. We will implement the Fujian-Taiwan historical display and tracing project, and carry out activities such as matching the genealogy of people in Fujian and Taiwan and finding out the roots of their ancestors. We will leverage the regions' bond of the belief in the Chinese sea goddess Mazu and other folk beliefs to facilitate diverse forms of folk belief and customs exchange activities. We will encourage religious circles and other individuals from Taiwan to come to Fujian for short-term study. We will support exchanges and cooperation in Buddhism and Taoism between Fujian and Taiwan. We will establish a sound incentive mechanism within platform enterprises to promote people-to-people exchanges between Fujian and Taiwan.
16. Encourage communication and exchanges between young generations. We will support the establishment of regular exchange channels between Fujian and Taiwan youth groups in various fields and industries. We will strengthen the development of platforms for young people in employment and starting bussiness on both sides of the Taiwan Strait, and help young people from Taiwan pursue and fulfill their dreams on the mainland. We will support inter-school exchanges between primary and secondary schools in Fujian and Taiwan, and collaborate on youth-oriented sports projects such as baseball and softball. We will utilize new media, pop culture, and the internet to conduct immersive and interactive experiential exchange activities, continually expanding the shared "friend circle" and "career circle" for youth in Fujian and Taiwan.
17. Promote integrated development in the cultural field. We will encourage compatriots on both sides of the Strait to jointly promote Chinese culture and the protection, inheritance and innovative development of China's fine traditional culture. We will build more platforms for cooperation in the cultural industry and encourage Taiwan cultural businesses to invest and establish themselves in Fujian. We will support the exhibition of cooperation projects between Fujian and Taiwan through overseas Chinese cultural centers. The pilot program allows Taiwan companies to invest and set up radio and television program production and management companies in Fujian [GRR's note: It is unclear how this will be specifically implemented, but some China observers believe that this does not rule out the possibility of some opening up in the ideological field], to guide the Fujian and Taiwan industries to cooperate in producing high-quality film and television shows. We will bring together cultural and entertainment resources from both sides of the Strait to create cross-Strait popular cultural centers. We will continue to carry out Taiwan-related cultural heritage protection projects. We encourage Taiwan compatriots to apply for the title - representative inheritors of intangible cultural heritage at the provincial level of Fujian. We will support Mazu temples on both sides of the Strait in jointly carrying out the protection project of "Mazu belief and customs", which is on the representative list of intangible cultural heritage, and share the protection results. We will promote the application for World Cultural Heritage status for red-brick buildings and Mazu cultural relics in southern Fujian. We will start conducting the "Austronesian Language Family Origin and Diffusion Research" project. We will support Taiwanese companies in applying for qualifications for cultural heritage protection projects, and support professional institutions and personnel from Taiwan to participate in archaeological projects within Fujian province.
VI. Strengthen organizational guarantees
18. Uphold and strengthen the Party's overall leadership. We will adhere to the centralized, unified leadership of the Party Central Committee in Fujian's exploring of a new path for the integrated development across the Taiwan Strait and building a demonstration zone for the integrated development across the Strait. Party's leadership will be implemented in all aspects and stages of work.
19. Improve the implementation mechanism for work. The Taiwan Work Office of the CPC Central Committee and the National Development and Reform Commission should take the lead in coordination, carry out overall planning, establish a dynamic, optimized improvement mechanism, and conduct work such as policy implementation, evaluation, adjustment, and summarization and dissemination. The central government and relevant departments of the state organs should propose innovative measures, strengthen policy support, and fully support Fujian in exploring new mechanisms, new paths, and new models for deepening cross-Strait integration and development. Fujian Province should strengthen its principal responsibilities, establish a collaborative implementation mechanism, leverage the roles of all parties, innovate work methods, and ensure the effectiveness of various measures. We will establish an Expert Committee for Fujian's Exploration of New Paths for Cross-Strait Integration and Development, and conduct policy research on deepening the integration and development of Fujian and Taiwan.
20. Strengthen the foundation of the rule of law. We will make efforts to ensure the rule of law for the construction of demonstration zones for cross-Strait integrated development. For all the policy measures proposed in this Circular, if they involve adjustments to the current laws or administrative regulations, they will be implemented after authorization by the National People's Congress Standing Committee or the State Council according to the legal procedures.
21. Provide financial support. The central government, through existing funding channels, supports Fujian in carrying out economic cooperation and cultural exchanges with Taiwan. Investment from the central government budget should support Fujian's exploration of major projects in the new path of cross-Strait integrated development. Enditem
Please note that errors may exist. Some feedback on whether this piece of newsletter helps would be most welcome - if too many of you find such translation unnecessary, then maybe we will not waste further time on this, since you have the choice of using translation software to read the document. If you do think this should continue, please consider writing an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
To help make Ginger River Review (GRR) sustainable, please consider buy me a coffee or pay me via Paypal. The college interns who contributed to today’s newsletter will receive your reward from me. Thank you for your support!